[CentOS] CentOS 5.1 Core 2 Duo Install freezes

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Feb 9 05:45:02 UTC 2008

Ken Price wrote:
>>> ICH7R + Intel® 82573
>>>
>>> Memory:
>>> Crucial 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb modules matched to above MB.
>>
>> according to Intel, this chipset supports DDR2 667Mhz memory only. if
>> you're using two dimms they should be matched pairs for dual channel
>> operation?
>
> Yes.  I'm using matched pairs of DDR2 667Mhz.  Hmmm.  Actually, the
> Celeron's are using DDR2 533Mhz ... according to Crucial these work in
> this MB.  Guess that's one more thing to try with the dual core
> processors.

you might just try running the 667Mhz ram at 533Mhz if there's jumpers
or a bios setting.  if this works, and htere are fine tuning settings
for the ram, you might try the original 667 speed only add a clock to
the CAS precharge (again, ift he BIOS has advanced manual memory timing
options, some boards do, some don't)

btw, have you tried running memtest86 on these systems ?