[CentOS] Whereis yum-rhn-plugin package?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Feb 9 09:39:06 UTC 2008

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I need to setup a repo server to allocate updates for RHEL3, RHEL4,
> RHEL5 and CentOS5. Apart of mrrepo tool, I see that I can use reposync
> from yum-utils package and yum-rhn-plugin package to setup a mirror
> update server. But I can't to find yum-rhn-plugin under centos5 repo.
> Where is it?? Or I need to use package released from upstream vendor??
>

> Thanks

We were causing problems with people mis-configuring CentOS and trying
to do updates at RHN.  CentOS does not need RHN capability, so we took
out as many things RHN as we could in centos5.  The CentOS-5 release
notes have the specific packages removed:

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1#head-4ddf14e5e9203ff36401c8ee32fb1835c71cf814

You can get those SRPMS from the upstream provider's website and rebuild
them yourself:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/

(look for the rhn* and yum-rhn-plugin* files)

Not that I am the Red Hat license police, but if you use a method other
than RHN to get updates then you MUST ensure that you have an RHEL
license for each and every machine that you run any RPMS that you get
*_DIRECTLY_* from Red Hat on.

If you do not have a license for every machine, and if you put Red Hat
binaries on there anyway, then you are in violation of your RHEL terms
of service.

SO, while it is possible to get one license for i386, one for x86_64,
one for PPC, etc. ... then to download the updates to one place and
create a yum repo and update a million computers with those RPMS, it is
not legal to do so.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes