[CentOS] Re: Centos 5 on i586

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Feb 9 16:30:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, MHR wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008 1:19 PM, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think so. i586 (ViA C5/6, AMD K-III) won't even run an i686
>> kernel - and definitely no 64bit kernel.
>>

> Correct - my mistake (see?  I do that...).

Is this what you are talking about:

(hepa pts0) # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 9
model name      : VIA Nehemiah
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 1002.292
cache size      : 64 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 mtrr pge cmov mmx fxsr sse up rng rng_en
bogomips        : 2005.94

(hepa pts0) #
CentOS release 5 (Final)
(hepa pts0) # rpm -qa | grep release
centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2
centos-release-notes-5.1.0-2
epel-release-5-2
centos-release-notes-5.0.0-2
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1
rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf
(hepa pts0) # uname -a
Linux hepa 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 00:45:16 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
(hepa pts0) #

If this is what you are talking about, I have to tell you, C5 runs on these
better than I could ever get C4 or C3 to run. They have been rock solid
and I am using a flash card for the disk mounted noatime. The box is
one of those mini-itx things. C4 and C3 would randomly panic. Usually
within the first 24 hours.

If this is not what you are talking about, feel free to ignore me.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com