[CentOS] Piranha vs HAProxy vs Something else

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Feb 11 15:20:13 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:

> You are kidding right? Them expensive boxes run on Linux? There was a F5
> box that was loaned to the company I worked for previously for testing
> and they had some really big claims about its ability to process emails
> and about its mail queue data integrity guarantees.

you got it
[root at prod-lb-1:Active] config # uname -a
Linux prod-lb-1.sea2.my.domain 2.4.21-9.1.1.30.0smp #2 SMP Sat Oct 22
02:08:57 PDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at prod-lb-1:Active] config # ssh root at sccp
Last login: Tue Jan 22 00:27:25 2008 from 10.10.0.146

Welcome to the F5 Networks SCCP!

sccp# uname -a
Linux sccp 2.4.23-sccp SCCP Linux build 9.2.90.76.6 Tue Dec 13 05:55:27 PST
2005 ppc unknown
sccp#

(the Big IPs contain two independent computers in one chassis)

Never used them for email processing. But work quite well for
load balancing. Easy to use, fast, quite a bit of features. I played
around a bit with LVS is it? about a year ago. The one killer feature
it didn't have that I require(d) was NAT'ing the traffic so I could
bounce connections back onto the same network. I didn't see any such
ability in LVS at the time anyways, maybe it's there now.

My network switches run linux too(I think some commercial embedded
flavor), as does my storage array(SSH banner says Debian at least).
Neither give access to a native linux shell though. Shit, even my
new Phillips TV runs linux. Crazy seems like almost everything does
these days.

nate