[CentOS] upgrade perl 5.8.0 -> 5.8.1

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Feb 11 12:08:32 UTC 2008

Tony Barratt wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a few intel centos 3.9 boxes with perl-5.8.0-94.EL3 installed.
> This seems like a very early version of 5.8 perl.
> centos 4.6 has 5.8.1.
> Would it be sensible to just upgrade to this rpm? I want a stable platform
> for cgi. I suppose I could just try it, but these boxes are under a form
> of change control and I think I should ask for advice before going that
> route.
> Many thanks for any advice,
>
> Tony

We get many forms of this question ... the answer really is this:

Determine the difference between an enterprise linux distribution and a
cutting edge one.

The issue here is that once the upstream people release a version of
their enterprise distro, they will NOT be upgrading any of the major
programs to newer versions ... things like perl, apache, python, GNOME,
KDE, etc, will be instead backported:

http://tinyurl.com/r77l2

Whether or not backporting works for you in your development process
depends on what you are trying to accomplish ... and BTW, the perl in
centos-4.6 is 5.8.5 not 5.8.1 (and the perl in CentOS-5 is 5.8.8).

The perl in CentOS-3 will always be 5.8.0, in CentOS-4 will always be
5.8.5, in CentOS-5 will always be 5.8.8.

So, you will need to determine which linux distribution really meets
your needs for development ... I would imagine that would be the one you
want to create programs for.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes