[CentOS] Question on failing hard drive part 2

Jimmy Bradley

bmobile40 at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 12 22:00:00 UTC 2008

     OK, I've figured out which drive is bad. Before I go any further
let me give a brief HD configuration explanation.
The primary IDE has a 80gig(Master) HD, and an internal zip drive(Slave)
connected to it. The two 200gig Hard Drives are connect to a PCI ATA
controller card(Not a promise card), one is master, the other one is
slave. It is the slave 200gig drive that is going bad.
      Now, I have a feeling this would be too easy. When I set the
machine up, Cent OS set the drives up using LVM. I only have about 20 to
30 gigs of data saved on the machine right now. Maybe not quite that
much. Like I said, I have a feeling that hoping this will work would be
too easy, but what do you think my chances would be, that I could
disconnect the drive that is going bad, boot the machine up, and it
fully boot up, and all my data be intact, and LVM automatically resize
the home partition down to around 200gigs instead of 405gigs?

Jim