[CentOS] change the GUI manager

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 01:51:22 UTC 2008

Sobari Tanuwijaya wrote:

> actually, everytime I turn on the computer, the log in is the
> text login
> screen, then after I entered my username and password, I have to type
> startx to start the xserver, that's the other thing I want to
> know how
> to make the login directly to GUI.

To start at runlevel 5 (graphic mode) on start, edit /etc/inittab
with your favorite editor and near the top look for:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Yours will probably say "id:3:initdefault", change that 3 to a 5
and you should be good.

-Ross