[CentOS] Re: system gets suspended automatically!

Chandra shekharc.2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:13:41 UTC 2008

2008/2/6 Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>:
> I don't think that is the "harmless" error message mentioned in the release
> notes as that had to do with the "crash kernel".
>
>  I saw this same error on a Dell AMD system. It seems the motherboard in
> that system didn't do ACPI IRQ routing as the kernel expected and
> experienced a lot of random problems until "acpi=noirq" was passed as a
> kernel option to disable ACPI IRQ routing defaulting back to the APIC IRQ
> routing. If that still gives you problems then you may need to use
> "irq=poll" which forces the kernel to poll for IRQ changes.
>
>  -Ross

Thanks a lot for the tip. This seems to have worked. My system is
running continuously from last 45 hours without any hang. This is the
miracle grub.conf entry:
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5PAE ro root=LABEL=/12
irq=poll acpi=off noapic nolapic early-login quiet
with the acpid daemon off. It is working well with the OpenMP parallelization.

When I tried without the "noapic nolapic" option in grub.conf, the
system worked with serial code but hanged while the OpenMP is used for
parallelization.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all you guys' responses.

Well, I don't have much idea but when the kernel detects multiple
cpus, the "irq=poll" entry should be added by default. It may be
useful in solving a lot of such problems (well, just a thought) (-__^)

-Chandra