[CentOS] Samba problem after Up2date

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Feb 13 17:31:09 UTC 2008

Dago Pacheco wrote:
> another detail.
>
> When i try this command " smbclient //192.168.0.10/informatica
> -Uinformatica" and i give the correct password i get this
>
> [root at servidor ~]# smbclient //192.168.0.10/informatica -Uinformatica
> Unknown parameter encountered: "hosts equiv"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "hosts equiv"
> Password:
> Domain=[MAKIMET] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-1.el4_6.4]
> Server not using user level security and no password supplied.
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

OK ... I already told you to run testparm and to validate all your
smb.conf lines.

Here is the first problem ... in 3.0.25, the command "host equiv=" is
not longer valid and needs to be removed ... see this link:

http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.25.html

Start out by using testparm and fix all the errors and then you can go
from there.

> What i can notice here is that is says that the server is not using
> security..... what is that for?

It says it is not using "user level" security ... you probably have some
other level of security in your config file. The different levels are
detailed here [search for "security (G)"]:

http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

(there is security = user, security = share, security = server, security
= domain )

The only thing that is going to work is to look at your smb.config file,
see what is set and figure out what you need to have set.