[CentOS] XFCE-Terminal can't display latin1 encoding

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Feb 13 18:10:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

Much of my work consists in connecting to the MySQL monitor on our
public library database server and working in it. Until recently, I've
been using either Gnome-Terminal in GNOME, or Konsole in KDE. Since all
the systems, both server and clients, default to fr_FR.UTF-8, and MySQL
uses a default latin1 charset, I usually switch the displayed charset
within Gnome-Terminal or Konsole.

I'm actually converting most of the desktops to XFCE, since it's my
preferred desktop environment. Unfortunately, XFCE's Terminal
application doesn't seen to offer the opportunity to switch to
displaying an ISO-8859-1 (or ISO-8859-15) charset. Is there any other
way to achieve that?

Right now, all my french characters in the MySQL console appear as
inverted question marks. Which leaves me with two more inverted question
marks in my eyes :oD

Any suggestions?

Niki