[CentOS] Backport uncertainty

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed Feb 13 20:23:07 UTC 2008

Erek Dyskant wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:54 -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> > I need to know of my version of Postfix supports a feature, given rh
> > version numbers don't really tell you much I was trying to find an
> > errata on postfix or anything to let me know the real version of it.
> For the most part if it's a feature it's not added, and if it's a
> bug/security issue it is.
>

> > How does one deal with this scenario? Is there a source of info to
> > determine this info?
> The way that I'd do it is download the srpm, and read the spec file's
> changelog.  Also, looking at the upstream's errata for
> postfix may tell
> you.

For changelog one could do 'rpm -q --changelog postfix' and see it
without downloaded and installing the source rpm.

With yum-changelog installed one could do a 'yum changelog postfix'
to see the changelog without even installing or downloading postfix.

Some apps will display the build options used under the version
information, maybe postfix has something like that too, if not to
find out for sure you will need to look at the .spec file.

-Ross