[CentOS] upgrade from Fedora Core 5

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Feb 13 22:28:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:18:12PM -0600, Peter Horst alleged:
> Hi -
>
> It was recommended to me on the Fedora list that I consider upgrading to
> CentOS 5 from my present FC5 - the machine is used only as a light-duty
> CLI-only server. I have a couple of quick questions in that regard:
>
> 1. Is now a bad time to install CentOS 5, what with the root exploit out
> and about?  Should I wait for a new kernel?

The new kernel has been released.  Nothing to worry about now.

> 2. I just picked up a Cavalry 1TB external USB HD, the CADB001U32, which
> I want to use for backup purposes.  I formatted it with one ext3
> partition.  If I load all my data onto that drive, then upgrade my main
> machine to CentOS 5 (which I assume will involve a complete wipe),
> should I then be able to mount it and retrieve the data?

I guess this implies that you don't currently have a regular backup system in
place?

When you say "load", you mean a giant 'cp'?  That technically works, but is not
the ideal.  When you mount it in the new install, you'll find a bunch of broken
uid/gids.  Best is an archive format that preserves user and group names (say,
tar).

Tar up your existing OS (or the parts that you care about) leaving the tarball
on the external drive.  After the reinstall, untar on the external drive.
Finally, work out a legit backup system in the new OS.