[CentOS] using fping to find missing A records

Rogelio

scubacuda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:04:44 UTC 2008

I have a specific question on how to do something, and a larger question
addressing other "better" ways to do the spirit of what I'm asking.

I'm setting up Nagios, and am trying to make sure that all of the subnets
have A records, as IP addresses will be changing very, very rapidly, and
when that day comes, I will not be here (but on another Nagios project).

So, I'd like to create A records for each host.  How do I "fping -a" a range
of IP addresses, strip out the names of the name that the host replies with,
and then ping that list of names?  (You don't have to tell me how exactly, a
general idea of which command line tools will do)

I'm thinking something like: fping -g 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.255 -A | grep
whatever > file, and then shove that file in another fping statement.