[CentOS] CentOS5 installation crashes

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Feb 14 13:01:38 UTC 2008

Andrew Henry wrote:
> Im installing CentOS5.1 on an Acer Aspire 5021 laptop with AMD Turion64
> and ATI X700 128MB gfx card.
>
> I want to partition my 80MB ATA disk as LVM, so I:
>
> Choose custom partition.
> delete all existing partitions.
> add one LVM vg partition taking up entire disk.  I do not change any
> default options.
> I then click the LVM button to add my logical volumes as follows:
>
> 5GB /
> 8GB /home
> 5GB /tmp
> 4GB /var
> 1GB swap
>
> all are ext3 partitions.
>
> I exit the LVM dialogue and click Next to continue with the
> partitioning, and...  it all crashes.  I get a debug error box with lots
> of unintelligible errors that I am completely unfamiliar with.  I click
> OK on the error dialogue and the installation freezes and I can only
> power off with the button.  I will probably look for this on bug tracker
> and log a bug report if I don't find a similar case, but I wanted to
> mail the list first (because it's easier) and ask if anyone knows of the
> issue and how to get around it?

I would suggest that you try the install by shrinking the / partition in
the LVM tab and install with only / and swap ... thent you can later add
/home and /tmp (and var too, though harder, if you want) after the
install and see if that has any effect.

This smells like something in LVM and disk formating is not happy to me,
but we need more info about the segfault to be sure.

Also, you can shift to Alt-F2, Alt-F3, Alt-F4, Alt-F5 and see what might
be happening exactly so we can try and troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes