[CentOS] help with x config on centos 5.1

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Mon Feb 18 14:07:16 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis a écrit :
> Hi  all,
>
> Typically I dont have issues with configuring X. However this time its
> an issue.
> I have an NVIDIA graphics card trying to do 1920x1080.

<snipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnipsnip>

My job mainly consists in installing Linux on various hardware. When it
comes down to configure X, I just kept the habit from Slackware days of
configuring it by hand. In the case of an NVidia card:

1) Get into console mode:

# init 3

2) first install the module: either from the RPMForge archives, or from
the installer from nvidia.com. (Lynx is your friend :oD)

3) Run a first configure attempt:

# X -configure

4) Edit xorg.conf by hand.

5) Sometimes, horizontal and vertical refresh rates aren't guessed by 'X
-configure', so what I usually do is run read-edid from a Knoppix CD.
Can be an older release (mine is 3.6).

I know it can be done differently, but then, different ways lead to
Saint-Bauzille-de-Putois...

Cheers,

Niki