[CentOS] yum-proxy?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:15:18 UTC 2008

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:

>> I've been using Debian for a few years, and there was one nifty little
>> app that made installing and updating so much easier: apt-proxy.
>>
>> Most of the time, I'm taking care of small LANs with an average of
>> five client PCs. But this is a very remote place in South France, so
>> most villages only have 512 kbps DSL. One major update for
>> openoffice.org-*, and I have to wait the whole day for updating each
>> machine (unless I scp -r /var/cache/yum from machine to machine, but
>> that's another story).
>>
>> I'm currently testing an "intermediate" solution: creating a local Yum
>> repository. I have [base], which consists of all the 5.1 RPMS copied
>> over from the DVD. Then [updates], which I'm currently rsyncing from a
>> remote mirror. And I think I'll do something similar with [extra],
>> which only leaves [rpmforge] (but I won't cache that :oD). Not a very
>> satisfying solution, since for example I'm currently installing XFCE
>> as only desktop environment, and I have nevertheless to download every
>> GNOME- and KDE-related update.
>>
>> A message to the developers: yum-proxy would be a much-needed addition
>> to Yum, in my humble opinion. I don't have the technical skills to
>> develop such a thing, but maybe one of you has (Daniel, do you read
>> this? :oD)
>>
>> I'm curious about your comments on this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niki
>
> I also need such a thing... I'm on the process to have a friend of mine
> write a patch to http-replicator so that it can work as a proxy for rpm
> files.
>
> Stay tuned, shortly, I hope, I'll have some news.

If you are in a location where a caching proxy is useful, wouldn't it be
nicer to configure a squid to cache large files and teach yum to behave
better in the presence of proxies (i.e. not use a mirrorlist or at least
always pick the same server as the first choice from the same location)
instead of having ad-hoc per-distribution per-version solutions that
won't be of any other use?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com