[CentOS] yum-proxy?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Feb 21 11:41:16 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
>
>>> I've been using Debian for a few years, and there was one nifty
>>> little app that made installing and updating so much easier: apt-proxy.
>>>
>>> Most of the time, I'm taking care of small LANs with an average of
>>> five client PCs. But this is a very remote place in South France, so
>>> most villages only have 512 kbps DSL. One major update for
>>> openoffice.org-*, and I have to wait the whole day for updating each
>>> machine (unless I scp -r /var/cache/yum from machine to machine, but
>>> that's another story).
>>>
>>> I'm currently testing an "intermediate" solution: creating a local
>>> Yum repository. I have [base], which consists of all the 5.1 RPMS
>>> copied over from the DVD. Then [updates], which I'm currently
>>> rsyncing from a remote mirror. And I think I'll do something similar
>>> with [extra], which only leaves [rpmforge] (but I won't cache that
>>> :oD). Not a very satisfying solution, since for example I'm currently
>>> installing XFCE as only desktop environment, and I have nevertheless
>>> to download every GNOME- and KDE-related update.
>>>
>>> A message to the developers: yum-proxy would be a much-needed
>>> addition to Yum, in my humble opinion. I don't have the technical
>>> skills to develop such a thing, but maybe one of you has (Daniel, do
>>> you read this? :oD)
>>>
>>> I'm curious about your comments on this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Niki
>>
>> I also need such a thing... I'm on the process to have a friend of
>> mine write a patch to http-replicator so that it can work as a proxy
>> for rpm files.
>>
>> Stay tuned, shortly, I hope, I'll have some news.
>
> If you are in a location where a caching proxy is useful, wouldn't it be
> nicer to configure a squid to cache large files and teach yum to behave
> better in the presence of proxies (i.e. not use a mirrorlist or at least
> always pick the same server as the first choice from the same location)
> instead of having ad-hoc per-distribution per-version solutions that
> won't be of any other use?

Personally, if I was at such a location (where more that 1 or 2 machines
needed updates), instead of trying to change anything, I would just
rsync the branches of the centos tree I needed down to a web server and
have a local mirror.

It takes 5 minutes to setup, and you can do new installs, updates, etc.
going forward from the local mirror.