[CentOS] How to Disable PAM in Centos 5.1

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri Feb 22 17:02:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:16:15AM -0800, vincenzo romero wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I would like to disable PAM authentication in my test server running Centos5.1.

You can't.  PAM is compiled into the authentication programs.  Without PAM
you'd never be able to login at all!  It's PAM that actually checks your
password etc etc etc.

> "Feb 22 02:01:31 localhost login: pam_securetty(login:auth): access
> denied: tty 'tty1' is not secure !"

This normally means you're trying to login as "root" but the terminal
you're using is not listed in /etc/securetty

Two solutions:
  1) Add tty1 to /etc/securetty
OR
  2) comment out the pam_securetty lines in /etc/pam.d/*  files
        ( maybe only /etc/pam.d/login and /etc/pam.d/remote )

I'd recommend solution "1" myself.

--

rgds
Stephen