[CentOS] Reg. VNC server and Windows and Centos interworking

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Feb 23 11:27:51 UTC 2008

Padmaja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for such a fast response. I typed vncserver at the command line
> and it asked me for a password. It said I would require password to
> enter the desktop. I did not set any before so gave some dummy password.
> It again showed Verify and I typed the same password again. Then the
> screen showed something like
>
> for user padmaja, the startup script is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
> the startup applications are in /home/padmaja/.vnc/Xstartup
> the log file is in /home/padmaja/.vnc/sipserver.com.log
>
> After this I typed ps aux and saw that there is a Xvnc running againt
> pid 11435.
>
> Now, I tried to connect to the Centos PC from Windows using Vnc client
> and it gave the error
>
> "unable to connect to host: connection refused (10061)."
>
> I cant understand what the issue is. I am however able to connect to
> Windows PCs from VNC on windows.

Please don't top post :)

Look and see if the iptables firewall in running on the CentOS box, if
so you will need to open the correct port to connect from an external
machine.
as root do the command:  service iptables status

if it says anything other than this, iptables is running:

1st Possibility:
Firewall is stopped.

Second Possibility:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Both of those outputs mean the firewall is not running.

If there is something like this, the firewall is running:

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere           icmp any
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:http
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpt:rsync
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
tcp dpts:6881:6899
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

How you will open up the firewall (if it is running) depends on if both
machines are behind a firewall or touching the internet ... whether you
want to ONLY connect from one machines or 1 subnet to this machine via
VNC (remember that VNC, by itself is NOT secure, and I would not connect
or open standard VNC across the internet).

<snip>

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes