[CentOS] How to speed up Rsync transfers

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:04:05 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:

>>> - Do you know what sort of bandwidth your "supposed" to have from your
>>>  ISP?
>> source server business DSL 1.5m down / 878k up
>> distination server T1 colo at a large ISP.
>>> nate
>> Sounds like I'll be stuck with the tranfer rate I'm getting.
>
> In that case, it sounds like you need a local staging that can be
> quickly done before starting upload sync. Then the upload can run 24/7.
> How you might want to deal with new updates that happen before the
> previous upload finishes is going to be an interesting problem.

Since disk spaces is relatively cheap these days it might work out to
have a local copy - even on the same machine if necessary, where you can
make a quick snapshot, then rsync from that for the offsite copy.  That
will also be handy if you need a restore and you can reserve the offsite
copy for disaster recovery.

If it is simply impossible to keep up with the remote transfer, you can
always do your local snapshot to an external disk and hand-carry it
elsewhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com