[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Feb 25 21:34:29 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 12:41 -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Bob,
> >
> > Lets get this fixed so we can kill this thread.
>
> I agree totally! The problem is with rpm. It refuses to install a non
> i386 rpm. I have verified this by downloading the latest kernel rpm. I

If rpm is broken, why not try to upgrade rpm on top of itself?

rpm -Uvh --force rpm-4.4.2-47.el5.rpm

You will need to manually download the rpm package again.

> had to use --ignorearch flag to get rpm to install it. Now how do I get
> this flag to yum? I have exactarch=0 in /etc/yum.conf which I presumed
> was to fix this. It does not work. I have tried to pass this flag
> via /root/.rpmmacros with no help. So, why do only myself apparently
> have this problem? One other item. I made *no* changes to any yum files
> after installation except the addition of (maybe) rpmforge. One kernel
> was updated around this time. My guess is the problem started around the
> update to 5.1. Anybody have any input as to why at least one person does
> not have this problem? What could he have that is different from me
> regarding yum and rpm? Reading this I apologize for the ramble.

Bob,

I wouldn't muck with any more options, try to undo the changes you
have made.

I didn't see what the rpm error was you got when you tried to
install it, did you post it to the thread?

You said you re-installed yum, how did you remove yum?

If you did a rpm -e yum, then the yum plugins may have still been left
behind. Here is the list you provided earlier:

yum-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.5
yum-cron-0.6-1.el5.centos
yum-downloadonly-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yumex-2.0.3-2.el5.centos
yum-fastestmirror-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-metadata-parser-1.0-8.fc6
yum-priorities-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-repolist-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-skip-broken-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-updatesd-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.5
yum-utils-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-versionlock-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2

Here are the yum and plugins I have installed:

yum-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.5
yum-changelog-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-metadata-parser-1.0-8.fc6
yum-priorities-1.0.4-3.el5.centos.2
yum-updatesd-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.5

Besides 'yum-fastestmirror' I would make sure the
others are removed and their configs cleared out
from /etc/yum/pluginconf.d unless you know you have
a real need for any of them.

The yum plugin that catches my attention is 'yum-versionlock'

> Oct 10 09:14:15 Installed: kernel.i686 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5
> Last kernel update. A lot of activity Oct 12-15. Possible 5.1 update
> during this period.
>
> > Can you include the output of these commands:
> >
> > # cat /etc/redhat-release
> >
> > # yum list installed '*yum*'
> >
> > # cat /etc/yum.conf
> >
> > # cat /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
>
> I removed yum and reinstalled then yum update yum with no help. No sense
> to include these again here.
>
> > >From these we should be able to determine if your base installation
> > is correct.
>
> It is *not* a yum config problem.

Can you post the rpm error you got before?