[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue Feb 26 05:19:40 UTC 2008

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 21:22 +0100, Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > On Monday 25 February 2008, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > > Lets get this fixed so we can kill this thread.
> >
> > Good initiative, but since the layer beneath also fails
> (rpm) maybe we should
> > start there. rpm -qi kernel or maybe bad stuff in
> /etc/sysconfig kernel.
>
> Where I am confused is the original kernel and ONE update is in
> the /var/log/yum.log then nada.
>
> I seem to recall a discussion many months ago regarding an i686 kernel
> being installed from an i386 directory. If you look at
> http://isodirect.centos.org/centos/5/updates you will not see an i686
> directory, just i386 and ia-64. All rpms in the i386
> directory are i386
> except the kernels and very few others.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/kernel:
> # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
> # new kernels the default
> UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
>
> # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
> DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel
>
> > The interesting error from RPM suggests that it thinks the
> machine is an i586
> > (or atleast not i686).
>
> uname -imp:
>
> i686 i686 i386
>
> Don't know why the kernel says it's an i386. Kernel bug? Gateway
> purchase?

i386 is the architecture, in there you have processor flavors
which can be i386 (generic), i486, i586 and i686 tuned. C5 only
carries the generic i386 (default compile options) and the i686
tuned binaries, i586 tuned binaries are no longer being supported
after C4.

Currently C5 only supports i386 and x86_64 architectures. They
are working on ia64 and ppc, maybe sparc too.

The uname output is valid for your install, the question now is
why rpm refuses to install valid architecture binaries on your
system.

-Ross