[CentOS] bash - safely pass untrusted strings?

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Feb 26 15:46:36 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Bob Beers wrote:
> short answer:  single quotes will handle all characters, except single
quotes.

> long answer:  man bash
>  the section called QUOTING may help you figure a solution.

I've read the man page. It helps if I already know the input - I don't have a
problem with manually putting slashes in front of spaces and single quotes.
But in this case, I don't know the input. It's untrusted data.

There is no mechanism for escaping untrusted input?

-Ben
Only those who reach toward a goal are likely to achieve it.

believed to be clean.