[CentOS] Yum not updating kernel

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Feb 26 19:46:35 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Here is the cpu info of a more recent quad core Intel.
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 15
> model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3220  @ 2.40GHz
> stepping        : 7
>
> This model is 10 cpu designs ahead, but still part of the i686 family,
> of course these 10 designs do not show the separate Pentium/Xeon/Pro
> tree lineages. I think they gave up giving the steppings nick names
> a long long time ago.

indeed, "Xeon" further confuses things, this is simply a brand name for
a 'Server' CPU.  There have been Xeon's that were Pentium-III based,
then Pentium-4 based, and now new ones like that are Core2Duo based.

and, further confusing things, the Pentium-4 variants weren't really P6
core based, they had a completely different internal architecture known
as NetBurst, but Intel decided not to give it a seperate family
designation for who-knows-what reason.    The newest "Core" based CPUs
are in fact derived from the Pentium-M laptop processor, which in turn
was based on a redesign of the P6 (Pentium-III) guts, discarding the
Netburst architecture.