[CentOS] Re: NFSroot is acting strange in CentOS5

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:53:03 UTC 2008

Thanks for your reply Scott.

>  I haven't done this in a long time but do your workstation kernels have root
>  nfs in them?
>  config_root_nfs
>  This could be obsolete these days.

Yes, at least with Centos5 and fedora6 (2.6.18 kernels are what I am
testing with on both distros), i have configured the Root File System
Support via the "make menuconfig" option.

The following were the changes I made to the kernel:

1.  Networking-> Networking options
*  IP Level autoconfiguration
*  IP DHCP
*  IP Bootp
*  IP Rarp
(enabled = *)

2.  Device Drivers-> Network device Support-> Ethernet 10/100Mbit ->
nForce (my nVidia NIC)

3.  File Systems -> Network File Systems
* NFS File System Support (changed from M to *)
* Root FS on NFS

.... I had to also disable on option:  "Provide NFS Client Caching
Support" - the only reason is because, after I performed Steps 1-3 and
attempt to recompile the kernel, I had some make compile error that
pertained to FS cache;  in searching/googling it was recommended to
disable this option.  Upon disabling, the compile completed without
error.

... I have also just completed setting up a FEDORA 6 Root-NFS kernel
and root directory - and upon booting, I still get the same problems
as the prior mentioned CentOS5.  Both are of the 2.6.18 kernel base,
and both give that same value:  "sec=null" ... when the root NFS is
mounted.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Vince