[CentOS] Completely lost X (was system-config-display wronglysetsup Viewsonic VG730m monitor)

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Feb 28 21:47:35 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2008 20:00:25 Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> >
> > Here is a simple Vesa config that should work on most cards
> and monitors,
> > I use it here at work during kickstart installs.
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >         Identifier     "Default Layout"
> >         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> >         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
> >         Driver      "kbd"
> >         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
> >         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >         Identifier  "Videocard0"
> >         Driver      "vesa"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Screen"
> >         Identifier "Screen0"
> >         Device     "Videocard0"
> >         DefaultDepth     24
> >         SubSection "Display"
> >                 Viewport   0 0
> >                 Depth     24
> >                 Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> >         EndSubSection
> > EndSection
> >
> Hi, Ross.  Thanks for that.  It got me in, but at a horrid
> 800x600, so I ran
> system-config-display, setting it to generic 1280x1024, and
> leaving the vesa
> driver.  Then I got
>
> "out of range
> H.Frequency: 75KHZ
> V.Frequency: 60HZ"
>
> Back into vi, and set the refresh rates, and eureka!  I'm
> back in business.
> Is it worth trying the nv driver again, or should I leave well alone?
>
> Thanks for the help.  That config is going to be printed out for
> my "Emergencies" file. :-)

I really don't see a real need to use any of the stock drivers
that ship with Linux since if you really want to use the
acceleration features of the card you need the manufacturer
drivers and libraries, so I always default to vesa. Maybe if
your card doesn't support vesa (which don't these days?) or
want multi-monitor support only you would use a stock driver
but that's all I can think of

-Ross