[CentOS] ACPI reboot-issue (CentOS 4)

Simen Thoresen simentt at dolphinics.no
Fri Feb 29 12:03:16 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Simen Thoresen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to troubleshoot my way thru a ACPI-issue on several
>> machines with the Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard (S775, Nvidia 680i
>> chipset)
>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&l4=0&model=1459&modelmenu=1
>>

>> This is CentOS 4 x86_64, and appears on all tested kernels, including
>> kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.4.EL
>>
>> My symptoms are that the machine won't reboot on the reboot command.
>> 'poweroff' does turn the power off and halt halts the system (without
>> turning the power off), but reboot effectively does a 'halt'.
>>
>> I can 'fix' this by giving the 'acpi=off' parameter to the kernel in
>> grub, but this causes other problems (some of these machines have
>> quad-core CPUs, and these require ACPI to initialize 3 of the cores.
>> The dual-core CPU-machines work with acpi=off.
>>
>> With acpi=off, reboot works as it is supposed to.
>>
>> I think the root of this issue is the Asus BIOS - we also have several
>> Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe (Athlon64, Nvidia 570 chipset) systems that
>> started exhibiting the same symptom after a BIOS upgrade. On these
>> acpi=off does not cause other problems, so this is no issue for us now.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I think I understand that turning ACPI off basically
>> turns APM on, and that APM reboot works. Is there a way to do reboot
>> with APM instead of ACPI?
>>
>> Yours,
>> -S
> What does "poweroff now -r" do?

Nothing.

[root at jelen-10 ~]# poweroff now -r
usage: poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p]
                   -n: don't sync before poweroffing the system
                   -w: only write a wtmp reboot record and exit.
                   -d: don't write a wtmp record.
                   -f: force halt/reboot, don't call shutdown.
                   -p: power down the system (if possible, otherwise
poweroff)

...but poweroff -f killed power (immediately, apparently)

and poweroff -p caused a normal poweroff (ie with shutdown)

-S
--
Simen Thoresen - Dolphin ICS Systems Administrator