[CentOS] Two Instances of Apache; Primary IP / Secondary IP

Sat Feb 2 00:54:24 UTC 2008
mouss <mouss at netoyen.net>

Al Sparks wrote:
>> do you mean making apache use a specific IP when it proxies the request?
>> (you really lost me, so I may be misunderstanding). why do need that at
>> all? whatever IP is used should not matter since the backend will reply
>> over the socket that was opened by the proxy (be it a production proxy
>> or the test proxy).
>>

> Both IP addresses are actually assigned to the same physical interface
> (eth1 and eth1:1).  The proxy instance is accepting connections from
> clients using the eth1:1 secondary interface, but the same PHYSICAL
> interface as eth1.  When it turns around and connects to the back-end
> service, it seems to be using eth1 even though it's listening on
> eth1:1.  Since it's not listening to eth1, the packets are going to
> the bit-bucket.  At least that's my theory.

unless you did something special, apache listens on all the IPs of the
system. check whether you have any restrictive "Listen" statement. (Note
that services do not listen on interfaces, but on IP addresses)