[CentOS] Centos Guys: Any estimate of recent torrent savings?

Thu Feb 21 16:01:51 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

Just wondering if the community has any stats available from the tracker
showing savings from torrent (up|down)loads. I'm seeing *lots* of
activity on the live CD. Between that and the two CentOS releases I'm
sharing (4 DVD & 1-4, 5 DVD & 1-6) my current session has sent out about
20.3GB.

Since I started using it regularly, I think I've sent >= 0.4TB.

If some really good numbers were available, it might encourage others
when they realize that all this translates to faster syncing of mirrors,
faster initial release downloads, reduced costs to the project, etc.

I recently increased my cable modem speeds (U.S. $10/mo seemed worth it
to me even though I don't get the benefits of the added download speed
often - nature of what I do and all that) so I could upload appx. 60KB/s
instead of the previous appx. 45KB/s. And the new {lib, r}torrent from
rpmforge has DHT capability included, which I activated, and I think is
increasing the number of peers/clients with which I see exchanges. I
don't know how badly this might cause under-reporting of your stats.

Just curious, no big need.

--
Bill