[CentOS] Yum-updatesd not functioning

Mon Feb 25 21:38:53 UTC 2008
Damien Solodow <dsolodow at reverse911.com>

I have a couple of CentOS 5.1 boxes, mostly i386, but a couple x86_64,
some real, some virtual.

On all of them, I have yum-updatesd configured to emit via email to
root. Here is a sample yum-updatesd.conf from one of them:

[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 14400
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = email
email_from = root at FQDN (the real server FQDN is in the file)
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = yes

# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = no
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = no

None of the servers notified me of the batch of updates that came out
this weekend. Running 'service yum-updatesd status' on each of them
showed it as running, yet a 'yum update' showed the available updates. I
tried running yum-updatesd manually on each, and after loading the
plugins (installonlyn and priorities) it appears to hang or pause but no
messages were generated either on console, /var/log/messages or email.

Any idea what gives?

Damien Solodow
Senior Network Administrator

REVERSE 911(r)