[CentOS] Monitor power save question

Sat Feb 2 00:23:53 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

David G. Miller wrote:

> I don't see anything incriminating in dmesg, /var/log/messages or
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  I'll switch the system to boot to runlevel 3 so I
> can see if X is spewing something to the first alternate console that
> isn't getting written to the log file.  Anyone have other any
> suggestions as to diagnosing of fixing the problem?

Are there any DPMS options set in your xorg.conf ? What is your
video card/monitor and what driver are you using in X ?

Another thing to check is see if DPMS is enabled as an extension
by your setup:

xdpyinfo |grep DPMS

should return "DPMS"

I have to explicitly set my monitor power saving to off on my laptop
otherwise the screen has a high likelyhood of not coming back on after
turning off. Toshiba says it's a known behavioral issue with multi
core laptops. Happened under XP as well. Yay for screen burn in.

nate