[CentOS] Re: RAID Hot Spare

Sat Feb 2 00:39:10 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 2/1/2008 4:33 PM Dean Maluski spake the following:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 16:11 -0800, nate wrote:
>> Dean Maluski wrote:
>>> I've googled this question without a great deal of information.
>>> Of couse will be creating RAID0 swap but leaving that out of the
>>> question for obvious reasons.
>> You really should use anything but RAID 0 for swap. If you need
>> to swap and that device is dead then your system is hosed.
>>
>> At one point I read that you can get RAID0-"like" performance
>> by having multiple swap partitions on multiple devices and mounting
>> them with the same priority(mount option pri=(some number)). It
>> (was/is) supposed to stripe the swap partitions. Not sure if that
>> ever worked, though I have configured systems over the years to
>> use matching swap priorities, never really looked to see if it
>> was doing what I expected though.
>>
>> Yeah, from swapon(2):
>> [..]
>> If two or more areas have the same priority, and it is the
>> high-est priority available, pages are allocated on a
>> round-robin basis between them.
>>
>> nate
> OK, not really an answer to my hot spare question.
> What I read sounds similar to what you state that if you create multiple
> swap partions the system will create a raid0 of it.
> So what is the recommendation? create 1 swap partition on one drive?
It depends. If you are going to create LVM over the large raid5 partition you
could put the swap there. Or you could create a raid 1 the same way you create
the /boot partition. If the system is properly sized, swap is less of a
performance issue anyway.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and