[CentOS] Cluster fun

Tue Feb 5 15:25:41 UTC 2008
Rob Lines <rlinesseagate at gmail.com>

On Feb 4, 2008 10:38 PM, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:

> I've priced some 1 and 2U Dell servers.  Now, I'd like to perform a price
> comparison of COTS hardware for 1 and 2U servers.  What VAR companies do
> people
> recommend I check out for putting machines together?   I'm perfectly
> capable of
> installing and swapping hardware components when/where needed, so on-sight
> support is not needed.

I am not sure what type of cluster you are going to be doing  HA or HPC but
I just wanted to make sure that if you are looking at it for HPC that you
saw the dell sc1435.  When we were pricing 1U cluster nodes recently they
gave the best bang for the buck.  We were looking for raw CPU power and lots
of ram and were not worries about the server grade stuff like raid,
redundant power supplies, or remote administration like iLO or DRAC.  When
we compared prices with the other major companies as well as a number of
linux cluster providers and a few whitebox builders they came in cheaper.
In addition the next business day replacement parts are pretty nice.

So far we have been happy with them.

Rob