[CentOS] system gets suspended automatically!

Tue Feb 5 15:29:10 UTC 2008
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Chandra <shekharc.2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am running CentOS-5 with latest kernel available by deault (2.6.23).
> I installed it on a Dell XPS machine having Intel Quad processors (4
> parallel cpus). I use it to run a computational program and I need to
> keep the program running for 1-2 months continuously. I generally boot
> it in runlevel-3 with network ON without X and use ssh from another
> machine to connect and run the program using the "nohup" utility.
>
> However, the system automatically gets suspended (the computational
> program stops, ssh stops working, whole the OS seems to be freezing)
> after 4-5 hours. I have stopped the "acpid" daemon and boot the kernel
> with "acpi=off" option in "grub.conf" but no help. The kernel log (
> /var/log/messages) doesn't show anything special. After the instant of
> suspension, kernel also stops logging into "/var/log/messages".
>
> Please help me out. I think there is a kernel problem. I have run
> programs for days and days continuously using FC5 (which had older
> kernel). I can't use FC5 or older version of CentOS because I need
> GCC-4.1.2+ to compile parallel OpenMP program.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chandra
What do you have to do to get the box out of "suspend?"  If the system
is frozen and you have to reboot the box to "unfreeze" it, I'd guess
it's a heat issue.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce