[CentOS] Removing a disc from a software mirror

Tue Feb 5 17:17:49 UTC 2008
Alain Spineux <aspineux at gmail.com>

On Feb 5, 2008 5:12 PM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> If I needed to remove a disc from a software mirror for a quick backup
> before a test, how can I remove it cleanly so that it has a good copy of the
> OS on it? If I use mdadm to fail then remove it, this would be done while
> CentOS is running (It's a mirror of the system disc) and I suspect the data
> on it would not be in a clean state?

Don't "fail" the disk, just remove it physicaly or in the BIOS, that
way it will be clean.

Then if your test is successful, your disk will be re-syncronized as
soon as you put it back.

If your test fail you need to make your "saved" disk the good one.
I things "md" choose the disk with the last time stamp as the "master"
to replicate on the second one.
Then boot on the "saved" one, before to reboot and sync both.

You could also try to change the partition system ID of your
partition(s) to something else than 8e, using fdisk.

Regards

will update the time stamp, and then will make the new