[CentOS] Installation problems with large mirrored drives

Wed Feb 6 21:56:05 UTC 2008
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

nate wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>
> > Is there a way I can work around this problem?  It has been
> > suggested that I build the system with a single drive and then add
> > the mirror to it.  Is it possible to add a mirror to a partition
> > that is an LVM PV? Can someone give me a link to a good set of
> > instructions for doing this?
>
> I work around it by not using LVM during installation. I've
> experienced random crashes with anaconda going back to at least RHEL
> 3 I think when LVM was used during install(kickstart specifically).
> Often times if
> I try a 2nd(or a 3rd) time I can get anaconda to go through without
> crashing on LVM.
>
> If you really want LVM I'd suggest something like making your root and
> boot(assuming you have seperate ones) partitions standalone mirrored
> partitions, setup another pair of mirrored partitions that take up the
> rest of the drive that you'll use for LVM, but don't make it LVM, just
> make it a normal file system(this so it configures the software raid
> end of things for you).
>
> Once the system is installed, then change the partition type of the
> last mirrored pair to be LVM, and configure LVM. If you want your
> /usr /var etc on LVM make the volumes, go to runlevel 1 and copy
> the files to the new locations and re-mount the LVM volumes as
> your /usr /var etc.

I was able to install the system with no problems using the exact same
filesystem layout (LVM and all) with a single drive.  The problem only
occurs when I try to mirror the partitions.

I may give your suggestion a try tomorrow when I have more time to play
with the system.

--
Bowie