[CentOS] system smtp server question

Thu Feb 7 10:17:06 UTC 2008
Luke Dudney <listmail at lukedudney.com>

On 06/02/2008 17:26, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> If I have a production mailserver and a series of Linux servers that
> all develop mail from logging etc, it seems slightly redundant to have
> so many smtp servers installed on each of those boxes simply
> forwarding mail as I choose to not have local delivery. Is there a
> mechanism possible in CentOS to setup a pointer to a different
> mailserver such that programs like mailx could still send mail?
>

> Currently I have postfix setup with maps so that root on server A has
> mail sent from root at server-a.fqdn <mailto:root at server-a.fqdn> and that
> is relayed to my production box. It just seems like it is an
> additional service to manage on so many hosts?
>

> Thanks!
> jlc

There are lightweight SMTP clients that can be used as drop-in
sendmail(1) replacements by speaking directly to a remote SMTP server
instead of dropping the message in the local queue directory. One that
I've used is mini_sendmail
(http://www.acme.com/software/mini_sendmail/), though this was a while
ago but I seem to recall having some success with it.

Others have mentioned the trade-off between the additional complexity of
maintaining an MTA on each system and the fault-tolerance such a setup
provides, however, you can achieve similar levels of fault tolerance by
implementing redundancy on your relay server system(s). I guess it's up
to you to figure out what's appropriate to your environment.

cheers
Luke