[CentOS] Samba GUI interface

Thu Feb 7 16:36:57 UTC 2008
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 11:13 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 19:28, Craig White wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 14:18 -0500, Dean Maluski wrote:
> > > CentOS 5.1
> > > I was just trying to add users and shares to Samba from GUI interface.
> > > I've already added users from command line.
> > > Regardless, when I go to select users the existing users is blank.
> > > When I add a user if it already exists I get a complaint that user
> > > exists. If I add a new user from GUI it does not get added to the blank
> > > list.
> > > OK I just added a user from gui, applied it [HIT OK]
> > > went back and tried to add user again but when hitting [OK] complained
> > > that user exists. Seems things are working except listing existing users
> > > in interface.
> > > I can live with this but I'm about to upgrade a server at work and
> > > ultimately I was hoping my Windows Sys Admin could manage to
> > > administrate Samba. I don't think this will be possible without a GUI.
> >
> > ----
> > personally, I've found webmin to be useful (not part of standard
> > packaging but is in dag repository) http://www.webmin.com
> >
> > Webmin can be configured to add posix/samba users at same time and/or
> > convert posix users to samba users
> >
> I have rpmforge enabled, but yum doesn't list webmin.  Is this the wrong repo?
----
you may be right...they might have dropped it. It was clear that they
weren't keeping up with the releases which is why I stopped using
rpmforge's version anyway.

You can get tarball or rpm version directly from http://www.webmin.com

Note:

before you install webmin, install perl-Net-SSLeay
yum install perl-Net-SSLeay

if the webmin installation detects that package is installed,
connections are all done via SSL (heavily recommended)

that package is indeed in rpmforge

Craig