[CentOS] Reg. PPPoE server installation

Fri Feb 8 19:25:36 UTC 2008
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:46:29PM +0530, Padmaja alleged:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to install the PPPoe server rp-pppoe-3.8 from Roaring penguin on centos PC (Centos 4.3, Kernel release 2.6.9-34.EL) but not able to start it. When I start it it gives the error--

Centos 4.3?  You are quite out of date.

Centos 4.6 has rp-pppoe-3.5, not rp-pppoe-3.8.  The Centos doesn't have the
files that you indicate below.  So your support route is going to be with
Roaring Penguin, not with Centos.

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/pppoe status
> pppoe-status: Link is down (can't read pppd PID file /var/run/pppoe.conf-pppoe.pid.pppd)
> ror -
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/pppoe start
> Bringing up PPPoE link................TIMED OUT
> /usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 191:  4703 Terminated              $CONNECT "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1
>                                                            [FAILED]
>
> Please let me know how to fix this.

You are trying to start the pppoe server or client?  Those commands look like
client stuff.  If you want to connect to the Internet through pppoe DSL, then
first run adsl-setup.