[CentOS] Centos 5 on i586

Fri Feb 8 21:32:19 UTC 2008
Garrick Staples <garrick at usc.edu>

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:40:55PM -0800, MHR alleged:
> On Feb 8, 2008 9:02 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 05:47:58PM +0100, Matias Surdi wrote:
> > > Is possible to install Centos 5 on a 586 CPU? (cpu_type = 5)
> > >

> > No.  I think there was some interest in making this happen at some
> > point:
> >
> >  http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/CentOS5PentiumSupport
> >
> > However I'm not sure that it will end up happening:
> >
> >  http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1836
> >

> Pardon me, but you CAN install CentOS 5.1 on any x86 CPU.  If your CPU
> is a valid 64-bit CPU, you can install either the i386 version
> (32-bit) or the x86_64 version.  You may not get full support of
> specific CPU instructions that are available ONLY on your particular
> CPU, but the right one will run.
>
> I had 586 CPUs on two different machines at work way back when 5.0
> came out, and the x86_64 installation ran just fine on both.

There is no such thing as a 64bit i586 CPU.

With regards to Intel CPUs, the original Pentiums are i586.  Everything after
that (PentiumPro, PentiumII, III, and IV) is i686.  Earlier PentiumIV are 32bit
only, later chips added the 64bit instructions and registers.

The CPUs are backwards compatible with older software.