[CentOS] Disk partitions and LVM limits

Tue Feb 12 10:34:13 UTC 2008
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Friday 08 February 2008, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Peter Blajev wrote:
> > group. Googling around it looks like there is 2TB limit and
> > there should be
> > some kernel parameters to tweak but I still can't get a clear answer.

Only two (types) of 2T limit exists:
1) the driver or your storage limits to 2T (not much you can do...)
2) dos partition tables can by design not be larger than 2T (use either gpt or
lvm on raw /dev/sdX)

> When creating a vg there may be a limit on the total # of extents per
> vg, so you may have to increase the extent size from 4MB to 8 or 16.

There probably is a limit but I've done 80T in one vg with default c5 PE size
so you're not likely to hit that with a <10T device...

/Peter