[CentOS] Question on failing hard drives

Thu Feb 14 16:58:22 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       In my Cent OS machine, I have 3 hard drives, an 80, and two 200gig
> hard drives. One of the drives is obviously starting to fail, but I'm
> not sure which one. Is there a command line command in Linux that will
> check the drive integrity on all the hard drives and tell me which one
> is going bad?

Best way is to use the manufacturer's tools to determine drive health.
Depending on the disk you may be able to query the drive's SMART status,
this looks like a useful article on SMART:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983

Also you can check the kernel log(dmesg for the latest events) to see
if there are errors related to the drive(such as read errors, drive
resets etc).

nate