[CentOS] pvmove speed

Wed Feb 13 14:11:00 UTC 2008
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> Not very impressive :) Two different SATA II based arrays on an LSI
> controller, 5% complete in ~7 hours == a week to complete! I ran this
> command from an ssh session from my workstation (That was clearly a
> dumb move). Given the robustness of the pvmove command I have gleaned
> from reading, if the session bales how much time am I likely to lose
> by restarting? Are the checkpoints frequent?

I always use screen when running updates, installs, disk maintenance,
etc.  This way, if the ssh session dies for whatever reason, the command
keeps going and I can reconnect to the session later.  It's also useful
to be able to start the run at the office and then reconnect from home
to check on it.

--
Bowie