[CentOS] Strange performance issues under CentOS 5.1

Wed Feb 13 16:46:51 UTC 2008
Nicolas Sahlqvist <nicco77 at gmail.com>

On Feb 13, 2008 5:35 PM, Masters IT Gmail <mastersit.com at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having the same problem about performance issue, well perhaps it is
> because I have slow memory, I have  a P4 HT with 256mb DDR 400 and HD 40
> gb,
> today I reinstalled the -OS Centos 5.1 final with gnome. I don´t know if
> it
> is okay to have only 4 megs of ram free. Perhaps I need more ram because I
> am using gnome I ask because is the first time I probe linux in my desktop
> pc, I note that is acting slow what do you think?
>
> There are some ways to free up some memory in order to better adjust my os
> with a minimum amount of ram like 256mb. This pc is for learning, so I
> don´t
> know if it deserves buying more memory but your experience is more than
> mine.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> George from Uruguay.

George,

I'm fairly confident your system is swapping and thereby causing the issue,
you can check it out with dstat for example. A old 40 GB harddrive is not
improving the situation, I'm sure iostat (part of the sysstat RPM package)
will tell you by showing a high await value. You need at least 512 MB to run
just Gnome in a resonable paste, you may want to consider some lightweight
window manager such as xfce4, blackbox etc.

- Nicolas