[CentOS] pvmove speed

Wed Feb 13 22:45:14 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Good suggestion, no it's not ESX, but it does do snapshots.

-Ross

----- Original Message -----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org <centos-bounces at centos.org>
Sent: Wed Feb 13 17:30:39 2008
Subject: RE: [CentOS] pvmove speed

>I am facing the same issue with a migration of our VM machines
>to a new iSCSI setup this year, around 1TB of VMs need to be
>fork lifted over and I thought about exotic ways to move it
>over, but I think in the end it will be by good ole backup exec
>and tape.

You're not running esx are you?
Heh, I just did the same thing on a much smaller scale. Couldn't afford the long downtime while a copy took place so I shut the vm's off, snapped it and restarted it. I then scripted all files "without" 00000 in the name to rsync over (ssssslowly). I then only had to shut the vm off and sync the small snap's and restart the vm's on other storage. Only took a few minutes.

jlc