[CentOS] help with x config on centos 5.1

Mon Feb 18 14:29:48 UTC 2008
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Monday 18 February 2008 08:20, Jerry Geis wrote:

>  Typically I dont have issues with configuring X. However this time its
>  an issue.
>  I have an NVIDIA graphics card trying to do 1920x1080.
>
>  If I configure the screen by hand with the nvidia config utility it
>  works at 1920x1080.
>  However when  I reboot its 800x600. When I use the nvidia config utility
> to set 1920x1080 then save the xorg.conf file, and reboot (yes I copied
> /tmp/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
>  and rebooted its back to 800x600.

I have learned a long time ago not to allow NVidia to setup my display with
their utilities.  They muck-up more then they fix.  They have the windows
mentality of over Analise everything and throw in the kitchen sink to be on
the safe side.  More is better (Bloat Everything).

I use NVidia here and this is the best working xconfig I have found.  I can
jump through all the resolutions with CTRL-ALT-(+/-) keys.  And my screen on
reboot is 1600x1200.  I don't understand all those OPTION Statements and not
even sure they are needed, see above.

<xconfig>

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName      "IBM P201"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 107.0
    VertRefresh     50.0 - 160.0
    Option         "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName      "nVidia GeForce 2 Go"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       16
        Modes      "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864"
"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

</xconfig>