[CentOS] acroread 8 on CentOS-4 (was for SL4)

Tue Feb 19 19:27:17 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Feb 19, 2008 6:06 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know acroread is not part of CentOS but many people use it.  Thought
> forwarding this post on the SciLinux mailing list might help those who
> use acroread on CentOS-4.
>
> === excerpt ===
> The "latest" version officially compatible with RHEL4 is acroread-7.0.9,
> but this currently has open security holes (CVE-2007-5663 et al).
> http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa08-01.html still
> says (as of today, i.e. 2 weeks after the initial announcement):
>
> > Acrobat and Adobe Reader 7.0.9 and earlier versions are also affected
> > by these vulnerabilities. Adobe will provide further information as
> > to the nature of the vulnerabilities via the company's Security
> > Bulletins and Advisories page once updates are available for all
> > affected versions of Acrobat and Adobe Reader.
>
> acoread-8.1.2 (which is patched) requires RHEL5 as per Adobe (libgtk+2.6
> ?). It appears that despite this requirement, it happily runs under 4 as
> well.. at least for the limited use we foresee over here.
>
> For the entire post, see:
>
> http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0802&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&P=12526

AR 8.1.1 would not print landscape graphic pdfs (on my machine,
anyway) properly at all.  It also had scaling problems (would not
scale images to fit the printer).

Does anyone know if these problems have been fixed in 8.1.2?  (Or
where I could go to look?)

Thanks.

mhr