[CentOS] system-config-display wrongly sets up Viewsonic VG730m monitor

Thu Feb 21 10:26:04 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 21 February 2008 09:56, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 13:02, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > You say that you bought a digital lead ... meaning I guess that you are
> > using a different PORT on your video card and monitor.  It is possible
> > that he standard "nv" driver does not support that port on your video
> > card and that you will need to instead download the proprietary drivers
> > from nvidia's website to get that port to function.  Regardless of which
> > driver and cable you use, the resolution/freq of the screen is going to
> > be the same ... why not just use the old cable :D
>
> Hi, Johnny.  Sorry for the delay in answering, but I was trying to make
> sure that I had a fair amount of time to work with the server.
>
> Before I read your message I had the bright idea of seeing what knoppix
> thought about the monitor.  The result was surprising.  Attached is what it
> reported.  I fed that info into xorg.conf and hoped.  Unfortunately I am
> still seeing the blink from time to time, though.
>
> Maybe you are right about the driver not handling the dvi port correctly.
> I really didn't want to go down the route of the proprietary drivers, so
> maybe I will have to go back to the analogue cable.
>
> I will try your version this morning and let you know whether it helps.
> This is the last ditch.  If it doesn't help, I'll change the cable back and
> re-run system-config-display.

Comparing your scripts with what I'd actually put into xorg.conf, there were
some extra modelins from knoppix, but the only real difference was that I'd
put the dri section in.  I thought it unlikely that this affect it, but I've
taken it out anyway.  It still is blinking.

One last thought.  I did install a wireless mouse and keyboard at the same
time as the dvi cable.  I have a feeling that the blinking tends to happen
when I move the cursor with the mouse.  Is it possible that there is
interference from the mouse?

Anne