[CentOS] How to Disable PAM in Centos 5.1

Fri Feb 22 17:02:13 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

vincenzo romero wrote:
> Hello Nate,

Hi!
> Since this is not a secure environment, would you be so kind to help
> me and let me know how to disable PAM?  .. :)

If I knew off the top of my head of course I would reveal how. I've
never investigated the topic. Sounds like you have so sorry I can't
help at this point.

So you basically want the system to boot up to a shell and not prompt
for a username/password? I'm still unclear on what disabling PAM will
get you. Is it causing a particular problem? I mean there are other
ways you can boot directly to a shell without authentication. If your
using X11, you can configure GDM/KDM to automatically login without
authentication.

8+ years ago PAM was a lot more clunky, less integrated and potentially
more problematic. Today it seems really mature, stable, integrated, etc.

nate