[CentOS] dovecot/procmail w/maildir format?

Fri Feb 22 21:48:15 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Friday 22 February 2008 20:09:47 Kenneth Porter wrote:
> If one has a large hierarchy of mbox files managed by dovecot and procmail,
> is there a convenient way to convert them to maildir?

I don't know of any convenient way if you are talking huge amounts.  I simply
created maildir folders to match each of the mbox ones, just slightly
modifying the name, and moved the messages into the new boxes.  Finally I
deleted the old boxes and renamed the new ones.

> Can one serve an account that uses both?

I don't know about that.

> What about INBOX? Must that be a mbox file in /var/spool/mail/<user> or can
> it be a maildir directory in the user's home directory?

My INBOX is in Maildir under my home directory.

> Can I change this per-user? I have some users with little organizational
> skill who build up huge inboxes and have only the default subfolders
> created by their mail client (ie. Sent, Trash, etc.), and I'd like to
> switch them to maildir to avoid the huge incremental backup load of backing
> up entire mail folders.

You'll have much better performance with maildir, if the numbers are great.
That's the reason I changed.  It will require a bit of organisation from you,
but you should be able to set them up exactly as you need.  There is a
dovecot mailing list if you need detailed help.

Anne